Wednesday 17 December 2014

GOSSIP WITH GRETEL

We decided to have a sit down with our lovely designer Gretel today, to get to know abit more about her and what she does...


(Ruby+Ed Instagram)
How long have you been the designer at Ruby +Ed?

Three and a half years

What do you love most about your job?

Designing for Ruby+Ed is a passion and part of my life. I am very lucky to work with such an amazing team, we all provide inspiration for the new season and we work so closely. They are my work family! (and our work birthdays are the best!) I spend a lot of time with them. Our director Naz is always around, and is so passionate you can't help but reflect that. I love it when she gets excited about something, it's all the persuasion you need to have a productive day.

What does your role as designer involve? – Describe your typical day.

There isn’t a typical day! My favorite days are the start of a new season. Pulling together all my new ideas, starting on the new range is really refreshing. I sketch, paint, doodle, take photographs and collect everything together. Then you begin to see a theme or a story of where the collection is going. We source some beautiful fabric as well as designing prints and knits. 

Then there is the faux fur- it’s the most beautiful faux fur fabric I have ever worked with. We work very hard to source and design our faux fur and we are so proud of having the highest quality. As the season continues the range grows and evolves. Then we get to a point where we have the samples from our factories and some that I make. I then get to work on the packaging that will go with our products which I love doing, I feels like it finishes it all the hard work off nicely. Our first fashion shoot takes place, then once that’s done the collection is given to our creative graphic design team. At that point the process starts all over again! Which is where I am now, I have just finished the A/W 2015 collection.

Which designers inspire you the most?

I find this the hardest question, I pull inspiration from every designer. Some seasons I relate more to designer's collections and they can have a significant influence on our collection. And I certainly don’t just look at designers, art is a huge influence in our collection too. We also have a lot of inspiration coming from Instagram and other social media sites. I also have files full of things I love, just waiting to be used at the right time! Everyone in the team has different styles and influences so bring different ideas to the table.
  
Why is a faux fur a ‘must have’ this season?

We have some of the best faux fur that's on the market. We work so hard sourcing and designing our furs, and we are PETA approved which is great! Fur is very luxurious, our products are the perfect alternative to real fur, while having full confidence that we use fur fabric and not real skins. They are plush with amazing textures and colours. They are also so warm, which is perfect as the temperature drops. 

If you had to choose one favourite from Ruby+Ed’s AW14 collection, what would it be?

The luxe wild wolf neck warmer. I was so excited when this got selected for the collection! I made the pattern so it has an almost asymmetric shape, but what I love is you can adjust how its sits on you for different styles. And it does up with a huge playful popper, that’s what its about, having fun with our products and feeling great in them.

What is your favourite trend this season?

I mainly wear black and navy in winter so I love using our Brit Candy range to add a pop of colour to my outfits. It can often be a bit chilly in our converted stables office so you will find me wearing a scarf or collar all day.
  
How will you be spending Christmas?

I have quite a big family so I try and see them as much as possible. But since having my little boy Aubern, I know it's him they all want to see! Christmas day will be spent just down the road from the office on the windy hill surrounded by fields. Then I go to stay at my Nan's house for a few days until I am back in the office. When I get my family together like this I give them my full attention but they all like to know whats going on with Ruby+Ed and they all like to have a new pair of slippers!

What is your favourite thing about Christmas?
                
I wish it would always snow but just getting to see everyone is enough for me. Everyone having the time to just celebrate and be together, its like everything stands still even if its just a couple of days.


Make sure to follow Gretel on our Instagram account @rubyanded

The countdown to Christmas has begun!

Lots of love,

Ruby+Ed XX

No comments :

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment :)

Welcome

Welcome to the Ruby+Ed blog! This is the place to be inspired and keep up with all the goings-on behind the scenes!